Appleshaw St Peter's

Church of England Primary School

Appleshaw School History

Education in Appleshaw has a long history. In 1761 a Mrs Frances Offley, who lived in Walnut Tree Cottage, left a legacy of £50, the interest of which was “applied for teaching the poor children to read”. In 1827 Catherine Butcher (married to James Edwards) left £100 in trust “for learning ten of the poorest children in the Parish or Hamlet of Appleshaw to read, knit and work”. In 1860/70, land for a school was given by John Edwards, who died in 1872. He gave an annual endowment of £5, and the School was built in 1870 for 65 children. The average attendance at that time was 50 children. The School was located in Old School House, now converted to a private dwelling. When Redenham children came to Appleshaw, after Fyfield School was closed, senior children used the Church Hall for their lessons. In 1920 two extra classrooms were added. The present purpose-built school buildings were opened in 1966. The School celebrated its Silver Jubilee in the academic year 1991-2.

Today, St. Peter’s Appleshaw is a Church Aided School under the auspices of the Diocese of Winchester. The School aims to give children a broadly based education within the framework of the National Curriculum. It places a strong emphasis on the values of a Christian up-bringing and on developing in the pupils a caring attitude, tolerance and a concern for the needs of others. The School believes strongly in involvement with the local community and encourages the participation of all pupils in as wide a variety of activities as possible, suitable to their own particular needs and abilities.